Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fun With Squishy Circuits

Fun with Science & Squishy Circuits!




Pipestone Area School 3rd Grade students had a blast on Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 learning about science through Squishy Circuits. I have 5 Squishy Circuit kits and made a Makerspace in the teacher's room. The students were so excited to use the Squishy Circuits even though they didn't know anything about them. 

I briefly told the students a little bit about what we would be doing. I purposely didn't explain how to do everything because I wanted the students to try and try again before asking for help. I found a worksheet on the Internet that I left at each station to assist students in their quest with Squishy Circuits. Once students got the hang of it, science and learning took off!

Below is a video I took with some students while they were trying different things. I tried ask questions that would make them think about the outcome. If something didn't work, I talked to them about what they thought were issues and how we could solve them once the camera was off. 




Squishy Circuits were invented at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota. The kit can be purchased online.  The kit includes a recipe card to make your own conductive and insulating dough, 1 motor, 1 Piezoelectric Buzzer, 1 Mechanical Buzzer, 1 battery pack, and 25 LEDs in red, yellow, green, white, and blue. I think the price is very reasonable, especially to incorporate into your classroom ($25.00 per kit). The company does offer a price break the more you purchase. 

I hope you follow our journey as I bringing Squishy Circuits to more schools that I work with. We will also be showing them off at our "This is IT" Technology Conference in March 2015. 


In Education & Tech,
Kara :)


0 comments: