Wednesday, November 17, 2010

EBooks for free

Are you looking to read books on your iPod touch or even your computer?  It's one of the latest and fastest growing craze.  You'll hear the words - Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Microsoft Reader, etc. they all refer to devices that are developed and geared towards holding eBooks.

If you have an iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Android phone, BlackBerry, PC, or Mac; you can download the Nook software for free from Barnes & Noble.  There are tons of free eBooks on Barnes & Noble's website.  Some authors are known such as James Patterson and there are authors that are not as famous.  If you are a book lover, you will enjoy reading books for free.

To be honest, I never wanted to try an EBook. I prided myself in the fact that I love the feel of the book in my hands and being able to turn the page. However, after a weekend with my brother-in-law, I was convinced to give it a try.  I downloaded the Nook software for my iPod touch.  I love it!  I downloaded the book, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and only paid $5.14 for it.  I don't even think it's available in paperback for that cheap.

A few reasons that I love the idea of having books in a PDF (portable document form) on an iPod (or other device) is the fact that it is better for the environment, it's portable and not huge to lug around.  Textbooks are even starting to come in a pdf version so it is portable for the teacher and student.  Of course, we know books will always be around - but this is the technology of the future.  

0 comments: